Valentine’s Day is tomorrow! Need a quick and frugal idea? How about surprising that special someone with a little napkin-love-note in their lunchbox? This is so quick and easy you could make one for everybody!
1. First, open your napkin up. (Don’t have a napkin handy? You can use a paper towel by cutting it into a square first! In this example I am using a napkin left over from a bridal shower. Please notice that the printed side is facing down, to start.)
2. Now, fold the left edge of the napkin over towards the center, so that it lies just left of the napkin’s center. Repeat with the right side. Your napkin should look like this:
3. Fold the napkin in half:
4. With me so far? Good! Now rotate the napkin so that it is horizontal. The “center” fold should now be at the bottom:
5. Next, you’re going to fold the napkin so that right end is now facing up:
6. Repeat with the left end. You should now have something that looks like an upside-down house. Be sure that the top edge is even:
7. Turn the napkin over:
Still with me? Great! Now is the tricky part, so watch closely! It’s really not very hard if you just take it one step at a time! Ok, now we’re going to form the top of the heart…
8. Each side is made up of two layers. On the right side, carefully life the top layer and fold it down so that the inner corner is now at an angle. Press the creases firmly and tuck the little flap into the “pocket” at the base of the heart:
9. Now do the same the with the outer corner, tucking it under the area that was created in the previous step:
10. Use your fingers to press in the corners and make them a bit more rounded:
11. Now, repeat steps 8 & 9 on the other side:
12. Flip it over…
and Ta da! You have a beautiful heart napkin… a perfect addition to the lunchbox of somebody you love!
Is this not the most romantic lunchbox ever?
Congratulations! Now you’ve made your first napkin heart! You’ll be making little hearts for for everyone! You can also make them out of paper for a quick and easy origami valentine!
Disclaimer: This post contains an affiliate link. The point of this post is to learn how to make heart shaped napkins, but should you choose to purchase a lunchbox to go along with your napkin, using the link provided allows me to keep on writing here! Thank you for your support!