When we decided to homeschool, I made a commitment to pick the best, most amazing curriculum to use with my children. I dutifully trotted off to my very first curriculum fair to make my selections but I left the fair later that day empty-handed and wanting to throw up. The choices were overwhelming! How could I possibly choose between so many wonderful options? All of them seemed absolutely necessary if my children were going to be properly educated! How could I possibly figure out which program would be best for our family?
(Yes, I own 2 copies. Is that weird?)
Papa the Farmer and I talked about it and we set up some guidelines to help us choose. History was the hardest subject for us to choose a curriculum for. I looked through several of the most popular Christian History Curriculums available for homeschoolers. We ended up selecting Mystery of History and I’ll tell you why…
- Mystery of History came highly recommended by several friends, including a Mom of 10 who – in her words – had “tried everything!”
- It aligned with our family’s worldview. We wanted a program that would teach history starting with the premise that God created the world in 6 literal days and would demonstrate how various Bible Characters fit into world history. (I hadn’t thought about it, but Mystery of History’s presentation also shows when events in other parts of the world (China, for example) happened in relation to the Bible Stories we know and how world events in other places relates to Israel’s history.
- The author, Linda Lacour Hobar has a passion for teaching history and this is clearly communicated through the text and the supplemental materials. We want our children to love history so we were specifically wanting to use a history curriculum written by somebody who loves history rather than a textbook committee who was just getting the job done.
- This is a multi-age curriculum, so I can teach all my children at the same time and it doubles as good family time. We read the day’s lesson together (or listen to it on the audio CD’s) and then each child can do a different age-appropriate assignment.
- Mystery of History teaches Truth. We have made a decision that while our children are this young, we will focus on teaching them only what is true. I wanted a curriculum that focused on teaching about God, not on ancient mythology and other stories that are not true. Mystery of History does this.
Mystery of History is so easy to use! You simply open the text book to today’s assignment and read or listen to the reading on the audio CD’s (available separately). Then immediately after the reading, you will find the various age appropriate assignments.
The curriculum is fabulous, in my opinion, but what really makes it extra-awesome is the downloadable Super Supplemental Collection that can be purchased separately. The download takes the curriculum a step further by offering four additional activities for students:
- Challenge Cards – These help keep history facts in the front of your students’ minds. Later this week I’ll be showing you how we have “history game shows” using those challenge cards
- Coloring Pages – The printable coloring pages are absolutely beautiful and they summarize the day’s lesson well. They are simple enough for young students, but lovely enough for older students as well. These coloring pages are very well done.
- Notebooking Pages -Attractive notebooking pages are provided so that children can write a summary of the day’s lesson if you so choose. The notebooking pages come in 3 formats: primary-lines, intermediate lines and blank
- Folderbooks – Activites are included so that students can make their own folderbooks (also known as “lapbooks”). For each lesson a small printable activity is provided that students complete and glue into a file-folder lapbook.
Win a Super Supplemental Download for your family!
The folks at Bright Ideas Press have graciously provided me with 2 copies of the Supplemental CD… one to review and one to give away! One very blessed family will win their own copy of the Super Supplemental Download for Mystery of History volume 1. Just enter using the Rafflecopter form below. Then stay tuned to my blog this week for two more fun giveaways!