Lately, I’ve woken up every morning feeling like my brain is full. Not full like, I’m-so-smart-full. More like, there-is-so-much-that-I’m-trying-to-learn-and-how-will-I-ever-keep-up-full!
The technical side of blogging has been one of the learning curves I’ve tackled this summer. If you’re new to the blog, The Good Old Days Farm was hosted by Blogspot for a year before I moved the site to its own domain early this summer. Let’s just say, there is one ex-software engineer in the family and I’m not him so I have been learning a lot about all things techie! Overall I’d say the transition went fairly smoothly, but apparently one thing I did wrong was not install something that would do a really great job filtering out spam. What I had did a good-enough job until last week and then all of a sudden…. Wham! We got attacked! In one day, I got 3,121 spam comments on the blog. Here’s the proof:
I had to go through all those comments manually to make sure that I wasn’t deleting anything real left by one of my readers. Honestly, after a while my vision started to blur and there is a possibility that I accidently deleted something I shouldn’t have. So, if you left me a comment last week and it got deleted accidentally, would you please repost it? I love getting comments from real people!
Actually, it was kind of fun to go through those comments. Ok, not very fun, but it wasn’t all terrible either. Some comments made me laugh!
- The comment that complained about my blog being “rife with spelling errors” was grammatically incorrect.
- One spammer complained that he signed up to be notified of future comments (a feature my site does not even offer) and now this so-called service is spamming him BACK!
- One Spammer by the name of “Party Poker Bonus Code” said, “Wow! This could be one particular of the most beneficial blogs We’ve ever arrive across on this subject. Actually Great. I’m also a specialist in this topic so I can understand your hard work.” Uh huh… Farming, poker… yeah, it all goes together…..
- “I was looking for this particular info for months” was the comment left on a “Happy Anniversary” post to Papa the Farmer! Um, ok…
- And then there was the reader who was “moved to tears” on my post entitled “How to fold a cloth diaper.”
The spammer who complained that my blog hasn’t been as interesting as it used to be and said, “Come on, Get With it!” hit a nerve because he’s right. Between an unexpected no-notice cross-country trip that lasted 6 weeks, a broken camera, moving the blog to its own domain and also getting started with homeschooling and signing up for a Holistic Health course myself, this blog has definitely taken a hit! Ok, but come on, he’s a spammer! Who cares what he thinks! Kind of reminds me of the time I lived in a dorm. There was a guy there who was continually stealing my food out of the dorm fridge. We ended up having a big dorm meeting about it. He denied stealing the food and said he had never, ever taken my food. Then, in the very next sentence he complained, “I don’t know why you think I would want your food anyway. You don’t put enough salt in it.” LOL! Um… How would you know if you’re not the one stealing it? And no, I’m not going to add more salt just to make it more palatable for you to steal!
No, I don’t care what a spammer thinks of this blog, but I do care what my readers think! Now that my crazy summer is over, I am home, settled-in again and have a camera! I thank you all for your patience with me over the past few months. It’s time to “Get with it!” I’m looking forward to things getting back to normal around here and I hope you are too!