Down here in the South, Collard Greens are incredibly popular… although admittedly they’re generally served fried. What a shame because Collard Greens are particularly high in Vitamin A and Vitamin C. Frying them destroys much of the vitamin content. So Papa the Farmer invented this recipe using leftovers and it is so, so tasty! Although it’s made from healthy “rabbit food” you’d never know it to taste it! The quinoa gives these wraps substance and makes them filling. The other toppings add flavor and make it delicious. Just remember that less is more when you’re filling your collard leaves. The more fillings you add, the messier your meal becomes.
P.S. Because I know you’re going to ask… That is red quinoa (pronounced: Keen-wa) inside the wrap. It tastes very similar to white quinoa, but it’s slightly more nutritious and it happens to be significantly less expensive at our local grocery store.
- 4 large collard green leaves (or other leafy green)
- ⅓ cup hummus
- 2 cups Quinoa (red or white)
- 4 scoops (about ¾ cup) vegan cashew cheese sauce
- 1 cup chopped salad vegetables: Chopped spinach, onions, tomatoes, broccoli slaw, etc.
- Wash collard green leaves, handling them carefully so they don't break.
- Lay one collard green leaf on your plate, curved upward.
- Spread a little hummus on the collard green leaf.
- Scoop about ½ cup Quinoa and place inside the leaf
- Spread some vegan cashew cheese sauce over the bed of quinoa.
- Garnish your creation with the chopped salad vegetables.
- Fold and enjoy!